Law firms are a company of lawyers who practice under one name. Although a single practice, attorneys in companies can have a variety of specialisations. However, some companies prefer to specialise in one part of the law. If you need their services, here are a few considerations you should make:
What type of offence do you have?
As mentioned above, lawyers can have a variety of specialisations. The type of lawyer you need will depend on what case you have. There are three types of offences in Australia:
- Summary – Summary offences are the least serious crime of all three. These cannot be punished with fines that are more than $120,000. To add to this, the maximum term of imprisonment for these cases is 2 years. These do not include robberies, violent crimes and other similar offences. However, should the offender’s dishonesty or misconduct result in damages, it should cost $2,500 or less.
- Minor Indictable Offences – Minor offences are defined by the Criminal Procedure Act of 1921 as crimes with a maximum imprisonment sentence of 5 years. If the crime results to damage or destruction to property, the costs should be below $30,000. The same goes for threats of destruction – the threatened property’s value should be below $30,000. Other crimes under this category include:
- Reckless behaviour which causes harm to others
- Indecent assault on an adult (where the victim is above 14 years old)
- Dishonesty (without robbery)
- Criminal trespassing with the intent of dishonesty (without violence)
- Theft and receiving stolen items (with items valued at $2,501 to $30,000)
- Illegal use and interference to a motor vehicle
- Aggravated assault
- Gross indecency
- Major Indictable Offences – This is the most serious case you can get in the court of law. The defendant answers to the jury, instead of a judge. Robbery, murder and rape are just a few crimes that fall under this category. There is no maximum sentence for people who are indicted with these charges.
Keep in mind that not all people will need a criminal attorney. However, if you do, it’s best to pick someone who specialises in one of three categories. This way, you’ll have better chances of winning your case.
Looking for one of the best law firms? Visit the website of Emerson Criminal Law for more details!